Bergfeld Realty Company was founded in 1882 when Rudolph Bergfeld started buying city lots and land in Tyler and East Texas. Bergfeld began developing the Azalea District in Tyler in the 1920s and by his death in 1930, owned commercial property in downtown Houston, Dallas and Tyler.
In the late 1940s, Julius A. Bergfeld (Rudolf's son) and his son Julius L. Bergfeld, Sr., developed Bergfeld Center, a mixed-use commercial development several miles south of downtown Tyler. Bergfeld Center was the first shopping center in East Texas and only the second in the state of Texas, behind Highland Park Village—and the same architect designed both. Writer P.J. Furse states in a Tyler Today article that "other factors have contributed to the growth of south Tyler since 1932, but none have been so inspired as Julius A. Bergfeld's dream to build Bergfeld Center, an idea born of foresight, an ingenuity that ran twenty years ahead of its time.
Julius L. Bergfeld, Jr. returned to Tyler in 1969, and began a residential real estate sales company to compliment the commercial real estate business. He continued the tradition of residential development his great-grandfather had began by putting in the Rustic Wood and Quail Creek subdivisions.
In 2004, Andy Bergfeld joined the company after seven years in the practice of law. He has built the company into one of the most successful, full-service brokerage companies in East Texas.
Today, the company is engaged in a wide variety of real estate activities, such as the redevelopment of many buildings in downtown Tyler, as well as representing income investors in acquisitions of Wal-Mart shadow centers. Bergfeld Realty Company also provides site selection for hundreds of businesses in the Tyler area, and full-service property management of dozens of commercial properties.